Mentoring a team
FIRST® Tech Challenge mentors are a cohort of passionate enablers engaging, inspiring and coaching young people to become the science and technology leaders of tomorrow.
The role of the mentor is to act as a source of motivation, direction, and advice – coaching the team on asking the right questions, and seeking out answers and solutions.
- Oversee the team during regular meetings and attend competition events with them
- Act as the contact person for the FIRST® Tech Challenge UK & Ireland office ensuring the team pays for and collects their kit, registers for events, and meets on a weekly basis
- Ensure safeguarding and health and safety compliance
- Provide access to a build and storage space for the robots
- Help cultivate the values of Gracious Professionalism® and Cooperitition® – motivating teams to thrive and succeed
One adult mentor is required for a team to participate. Additional mentors that cannot commit as much time may join the team when their schedules allow to share knowledge and provide a fresh perspective.
Mentors are not expected to be experts in robotics or engineering – they receive guidance on the basic architecture of the robots, but ultimately it is up to the young people to work together as a team and utilise their problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity skills to build their robot.
If you’re unsure whether your skills can be utilised, please send us an email.